Monday, July 7, 2008

Cooking Chard

Jen is sick today again with her vertigo, babysitter until 1:30, me and the kids the rest of the day. Although I wish I could help Jen more than I am, I am excited to have so much alone time with the kids. Today was a hard day, I was short and not too understanding but I think I managed.

This is the second week with picking up Tiffany and Sandy's CSA share. Seems mostly green and 600 per year seems like a lot up front so I want to see what they get each week. This week was Dill, Parsley, Basil, Rainbow Chard, Lettuce, Cukes, Squash, etc...

Never using Chard before, I tried a quick recipe and it was great!

Sauteed Chard
  • 3 Cloves Chopped Garlic
  • 2 Tbspn Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbspn Butter
  • Chard, de-ribbed, cut into 1" ribbons
With butter and Oil heated, saute garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add chard into an even layer and let sit for 4 minutes. Turn over and let sit for 4 minutes. Mix and cook for another 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Garden is growing quick after 3 days of rain, especially the watermelon and cukes. I picked 4 or 5 pickling cukes but have not seen any of the other two varieties. There are about 10-15 new green tomatoes and several large Zucs. The watermelon is growing up to 1 foot a day now.

No comments: