Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Smile

Today is an office day which has been happening less and less frequently as of lately. With not much time, I want to jot a few things down. First, I am loving Jen's pictures more and more. The tomato reminds me of someone smiling. I have lots more to show but don't have much time to load them right now.

For next year, I have read lots of different ideas with lots of pros and cons. As for layering of newspapers for the purpose of controlling weeds on walkways in the garden, although the ink may now be soy based and the paper made without harmful chemicals, many newspaper companies add a chemical over spray to speed up the ink drying time. Using Straw for the same purpose, you need to make sure the straw was not contaminated with chemicals or treated post growing with pesticides. The more and more I read, the more and more I wonder where all of this is going. Now even the organic growers are hesitant to call be state recognized as organic with the extreme price of certification and for me, organic is losing meaning with the governments ever expanding definitions on what is classified as organic.

Food Harvested:
Cherry Tomatoes
One Marglobe Tomato

Things Planted:
None

Preserved/Cooked:
Summit Market Tomato Seeds fermenting
Set aside Lemon Cukes and Black Beauty Zuch to preserve seeds.

Things to Remember:
1. Move all trellis to a different area and plant less seeds
2. Build 4x4 borders to keep things neat

1 comment:

dinzie said...

Looks to be a very productive garden ...

D