Sunday, August 3, 2008

One Tomato, Two Tomato, Three Tomato, Four

This past week we had a good amount of rain and many of the tomatoes were not doing well. All of the cages are 3-4 foot tall and most of the plants are starting to top 6 feet tall. Their weight and the small cages meant I had to make a trip to Home Depot to get stakes and spend an hour taming all of the bent and broken branches. There are still a few places I need to re-stake. I did however manage to get the seasons first four cherry tomatoes. 2 Black Cherry and 2 Yellow Cherry. Jen ate all 4 and the yellows seem to be her preference to this point. In the next week or so, there will be easily close to 50 tomatoes ready. For next year, I will definitely need more space and taller, more sturdy cages. Specifically, Mortgage Lifter, Black Cherry, Yellow Cherry, Black Krim, Italian Market Wonder, Marglobe and Violet Miclado all will need 6 foot cages.

The cukes are really starting to produce, I am getting about 3 or 4 picking cukes every other day now and the lemon cukes are just starting to take off. My only problem is that there are slicing varieties in there that are growing but not producing. I guess time will tell. As for the watermelons, I now officially have 4 small ones. One about the size of a quarter, one a golf ball, one a baseball and one a softball. I guess I need to figure out how long to let them grow, when will the be ripe, how to pick them.....I guess I have a few weeks yet to figure this all out.


Planting will start again this week. I need to clear much of the grass from the rows that are no longer producing and I am going to take a different approach for fall planting. I will try to no-till and use a version of the square foot planting method. I have not really decided on anything as of yet so all is subject to change. I am going to replant some more beets, carrots and radishes for the fall. The grass continues to be a problem and although I may be only keeping it at bay and not solving the issue, I am fine with that at this point. Most of the suggestions given have involved chemicals and pretty aggressive containment methods none of which I am comfortable with.

Last Wed was the talk at the library for Slow Food. Margret Noon was the speaker and although the format and presentation was not that great, the topic was intoxicating. I never thought I would call myself someone who cared where his food came from. To me as a kid, a garden was fun and the food it produced was no more than a bonus to what you get from a store. The more and more we read about eating local, being conscious of where your food is from and the benefits of local eating to your local farms, community and more so yourself, I think we we sold ourselves before we got there and decided that will end up becoming members of the North New Jersey Chapter.

No comments: