Saturday, January 2, 2010

Winter Again...

I guess I have become dormant poster....once every six months. I need to get a kick in it and start posting more regularly. So many things have happened since September but the most obvious would be the antique brick patio. We decided that we needed to remove the 40 year old wooden deck and in its place, I spent 4 weeks putting in a 480 sq. ft. two tier brick patio. The design enabled me to create 3 more planting beds for perennials and things of the such, added unique stair elements for quick access to my garden and overall just added character. Additionally, I was able to brick the walkway in my garden with the left over material which should help combat the ever loosing weed problem I have been experiencing. All I have left to do in the spring is to patch the foundation of the house, paint what is not exposed, erect a pergola over a portion of the patio and plant!!! Second picture it shows a portion of the overall patio ready for the bricks to be set. Some of the retaining walls that were built and off to the right the lower 12'x13' patio which will be covered with the pergola.

One of the last things planted in October was the garlic. This year I went overboard; 4 varieties, 120 head of garlic in a space that is too small. Last years was a mediocre harvest of 60 bulbs but had more to do with the varieties planted. The softnecks had little flavor and the hardnecks didn't grow to my expectation but characteristic of the variety planted. This year, I opted for the stronger flavored, bigger hardneck varieties that should explode. Now it is only hoping and wishing that they survive the winter

Spring planning is just starting. All of my seed catalogs are starting to come in and I will be making some minor changes this coming year. Nothing is set in stone yet but I will be cutting back from 38 tomato plants to about 16. I will be putting corn (popcorn variety) in somewhere, adding a potato planting plot and re-introducing zucchini to the yard. As always, 98% will be started from seeds this year with the majority of them coming from Seed Savers Exchange. In February I will start the salad greens, April the tomatoes and peppers and May brings the zucchini, sunflowers, squash, watermelon and gourds. I will direct seed peas in March, string beans in May and corn in June. Again, it will be another busy year with nothing but anticipation for what we can eat from the garden!!!


Food Harvested:
None

Things Planted:
Garlic in October

Seeds Saved:
hulled Radish Seeds and Pole Bean Seeds

Preserved/Cooked:
Home Made Pasta and Roasted Red Pepper Ravioli
Made Mozzarella Cheese

Things to Remember:1. Need to build bew garden gate
2. New Garden Arbor
3. First is the back corner planitng and arrangement
4. Then its building the pergola
5. Then plainting the back patio area...

No comments: