Sunday, October 26, 2008

Apple Heirarchy and the $3 Head of Garlic

Funny how things change with time, I always hated apples, could barely stand eating apple pie growing up. Now as my kids eat halves of everything they grab, pick-your own farms and general love for things that have a taste, I have started eating "the other half", apples included. (As I am typing, I am realizing that I think the only varieties my father bought were McIntosh and Red Delicious, my least favorite!!!) Now, I have a new sense of urgency to eat as may varieties as possible and find the best tasting ones possible (I guess I am trying to make up for lost time). In our trip to the Catskills, Jen and I found a great market stand in Stanford where they had 6-7 locally picked varieties. Trying 3 of these, I now am forced to write down my list so I can remember.


  1. Honey Crisp
  2. Cameo
  3. Jonagored
  4. WineSap
  5. Golden Delicious
  6. Gala
  7. Red Delicious
  8. Ida Red
  9. Macintosh


The Goldens came over for Plainfield Iron Chef 2 last night and it was our turn to cook. The secret ingredient: Tomato. Of course with all my tomatoes being ripped out last weekend, Charlotte and I made our way to the farmers' market in Scotch Plains. Really small as compared to the Summit market but it sufficed. 10 lbs of tomatoes (the season's last), 1 lb poblano peppers, Ida Red Apples, some potatoes and lots of fun looking around. The markets (both SP and Summit) are all done for the season next week which will be sad; Jen and I really have become accustomed to shopping for most of our produce and some proteins weekly there.

To make sure the garlic was in the ground on time, I had to finish preparing the bed from last week. When you look at it from a larger perspective, it starts to sound not worth it for garlic. To explain:

  • 2 days to rip out the invasive Orange Blossom bush that had more roots than its untamed top growth.
  • 1 day to edge the bed, turn over the soil, remove the rocks and start to build a rock border
  • 1 day to add 3.3 cu. ft. of peat and 6 bags of mushroom compost ($40), turn it in and rake out/break up the large rock like clumps
  • 1 day to plant 30-40 cloves of garlic, cover with 1 bale of straw and 6 bags of cedar mulch ($35)

So, for $70 (excluding having to buy a new shovel to replace the one that broke during the process and ~35 heads of expected garlic, it comes out to about $2 per head, $3 a head if I include labor; I could buy it for $1 per head at the farmers market, oh well.


Tomato Chutney
  • 1 - White Onion, chopped
  • 4-5 Red Tomatoes (large), rough chopped
  • 1 Poblano Pepper, Seeded and rough chopped
  • 3 Tbsp Ginger, raw and diced
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbsp Paprika
  • 1 Tsp Mustard Seed
  • 1 Tsp Cumin Seed
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 2 tsp Turmeric
  • 2-3 Tbsp Flour
In large covered pan, heat oil until hot. Add all spices and allow to meld for 1 minute until aromatic. Then add everything else except flour. Stir well for first 2 minutes then cover for 5 minutes. Uncover, stir, add flour, cover and let cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes. Turn heat off, uncover, stir and let sit to cool. Can be served at room temperature, hot or cold. I prefer room temperature

Food Harvested:
Green Tomatoes
Green Peppers

Things Planted:
The rest of the garlic (30-40 cloves
Mums
Tulip, Daffodil, Iris bulbs

Seeds Saved:
None..Chaste will be ready soon

Preserved/Cooked:
Fried Green Tomatoes (Jen)
Tomato Chutney (Medium Heat)
Pumpkin Pie

Things to Remember:
1. Don't walk on the garlic
2. Plant Watermelon in Ivy patch
3. Plant pumpkin along side and back fence
4. 4-4x4's for gate arbor, 4 - 4x6's for bottom bed border

No comments: