Thursday, September 18, 2008

The fall planting experiment is turning out better than expected. Jen and I are getting a few radishes every day and the Beets are growing well now that the nights are getting cooler. Although Jen is thinning, it still remains an issue. She proposed a different planting method rather than just spreading the seeds. Also to plant the seeds a little deeper than just surface sowing. Some of the radishes are starting bolt and I am considering letting them so I can save some seeds for next year.

I am patiently waiting for the 3 varieties of garlic I requested from the SSE yearbook. They should show up in the next two weeks and based on the cool nights (60-65), I will have to get them in the ground ASAP. I will put some in where the existing Cukes are and I still have to figure out where to put the rest. I am considering the front bed once I remove the ornamental grasses that are crowding everything else out.


Thinking ahead to next spring, I am considering planting many more fruit bearing shrubs and trees. The four heirloom apples have all come back from the deer feast and should be stable enough to move out of the holding bed to their permanent spots by April. By then, these will be 1 year old grafted trees and will take about 2-3 more years to bear fruit. Because of planting space limitations and my want for many other plantings, I am considering giving 1 or 2 to neighbors so they can still pollinate one another.

With Jen working later than normal this week, I spent some time with the Seed Saver's Yearbook and found a member who offers figs (I cannot believe that there are over 300 varieties listed!!). I will probably get 3-4 fig trees and I finally found an online nursery where I can get 5-6 thorn-less blackberries. Jen and I have also been toying with the idea of building a rather large pergola and if we move in that direction, I would like to plant Reliance Grapes to climb and offer natural shade during the summer. One concern with the grapes are the bees and dropping fruit. As a back-up plan, I am trying to figure out if I could build a grape trellis across the back of my yard but I think I may be getting carried away; I have limited space and I am planning as if I have an acre to work with.

Easy Carrot Cake
  • 2 Cups shredded carrots
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • 2 Cups Flour
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Mix together all the wet ingredients. Mix together all the dry ingredients. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Put into a pre-greased 10x10 or 9x13 pan. Cook for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. While it cooks, make the icing.

  • 8oz Cream Cheese - room temperature
  • 1/2 stick melted butter
  • 1 box confectioners sugar
  • Vanilla to taste (I use 1/2 tsp)
Cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add sugar little by little until all incorporated and smooth. Add vanilla until taste is right.

Food Harvested:
Tomatoes (mostly Cherries, Italian Market Wonders and Mortgage Lifters

Things Planted:
Peach and Nectarine Pits (Squirrels are loving it)

Seeds Saved:
Black Krim Tomato
Wilson's Sweet Watermelon (again)
Sultan's Golden Crescent Pea

Preserved/Cooked:
Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Ravioli (Locally made cheese)

Things to Remember:
1. Jen mentioned different seed planting for the radishes - like seed tape to space better
2. Begin bottom bed border (4x6s) and build new arbor and gate - need to cut back lilac and level the entry way
3. Moving any established bushes need cooler weather but before the first frost.

No comments: